Chemical Safety Science, 2018, Volume 2, No 2, p. 286 — 294
Utilization and biodegradation of wastes
UDC 628.336.3 Download PDF (RUS)
STUDY OF STABILIZATION PROCESS OF SLUDGE FROM BIOLOGICAL WASTEWATER TREATMENT FACILITIES
E. S. Dremicheva* and A. S. Gavrilov
Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Education
Kazan State Power Engineering University, Kazan’
Received October 26, 2018
Published December 26, 2018
Abstract – The study presents results of investigating stabilization process for excess activated sludge, which is formed in abundance at municipal stations of biological water purification. A series of specific characteristics of initial samples of excess activated sludge (moisture, ash content, solids content, and density values) as well as its behavior in the sludge thickening process have been determined. Calcium and magnesium oxides have been applied for studying moisture-yielding properties of the sludge samples, the results make it possible to recommend using caustic lime (calcium hydroxide) as a sludge stabilizer. Changes in ash content of activated sludge samples treated with varying excess amounts of stabilizers are evaluated. A sedimentation curve (Kinsch curve) has been obtained, which allows to determine the precipitation ability of sludge particles and then to apply the data for calculating sedimentation tanks and adjusting their sizes in case of sediment swelling. The data obtained can be used to develop technology for dewatering sediments of biological treatment facilities with subsequent disposal of sediments.
Keywords: excess activated sewage sludge, sludge stabilizing treatment, lime, caustic lime, moisture-yielding and thermal properties, sedimentation.
1. Demin D., Sevostyanov S., Tatarkin I., Khudyakov O. // Zemledelie [Arable farming]. 2009. No. 5. P. 16 [in Russian].
2. Moran E., Plekhanov A.V., Lobanov F.I. // Vodosnabzhenie i sanitarnaya tekhnika [Water supply and sanitary technique]. 2017. No. 6. P. 47 [in Russian].
3. Strekalova D.O., Savelova E.A. // Alleya Nauki [Alley of Science]. 2018. V. 2. No. 3 (19). P. 385 [in Russian].
4. Gaponenkov I.A., Fedorova O.A. // Vestnik MGTU [Scientific Journal of Murmansk State Technical University]. 2013. V. 16. No. 4. P. 681 [in Russian].
5. Methods for measuring mass concentration of active sludge. FR 1.31.2008.04397. M.: Aquaros, 2008 [in Russian].
6. Tsarev N.S. Ph.D. Thesis (Engineering). Ekaterinburg: UrFU, 2012 [in Russian].
7. https://nomitech.ru/articles-andblog/osobennosti_protsessov_osazhdeniya_flokkulirovannykh_chastits/ (accessed 22.10.2018) [in Russian].
8. GOST [State Standart] 8677-76. Reagents. Calcium oxide. Technical conditions [in Russian].
9. GOST [State Standart] 4526-75. Reagents. Magnesium oxide. Technical conditions [in Russian].